Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Wedding pillow



I made a (clearly very late) wedding gift for Abby and Chris, and I finally finished it and mailed it off. The first time I saw this old transfer (which I got from Floresita's vintage transfers on flickr) I immediately knew that I would use it for a Chris and Abby wedding pillow. They are both cat lovers who also have the best collection of antique everything. I used the coveted bird and wave fabric for the back:
I think I have to use my last remnant of the bird/wave fabric for my very own pillow. I like using the black piping for the edges.

And that is all I have to show for my crafty old self right now. As I recently mentioned we have had illness after illness around here in 2009 (nothing serious, and I am always thankful for that) and our latest bout has been with THE CHICKEN POX!
My poor little guy came down with the chicken pox in the middle of spring break, during a big annual music festival (South by Southwest). Needless to say, I did not get to see any bands. There was a fever, and a lot of waking up at night, and not a lot of sleep for mom or dad. I had intended on getting Harlan vaccinated just before kindergarten, but in a way I am relieved that he got the virus out of his system, since now he will not have to re-vaccinate himself every twelve years. I can not imagine very many grown men remembering to vaccinate themselves, and getting chicken pox as an adult is really horrendous. While Harlan was sick I heard from many friends who got the virus in their teens, their twenties, and even during law school finals! Lucky for us, there were enough parents around who wanted their toddlers to get the chicken pox too, and we were invited over to their homes. Harlan is such a social butterfly, and he hates being cooped up inside (no pun intended). I know some of you may be floored by the thought of intentionally getting your kids the chicken pox, but I can definitely see the benefit of it. I had it when I was thirteen, and let me tell you, I was way more miserable than Harlan was with it at three (which was really no walk in the park either).

So, we are all in a period of relative wellness (I know it's just a matter of time before my allergies return. I just finished a second round of antibiotics for an ear infection) and I am trying to catch up on work. At the end of April I am going to be selling at the Funky Finds Spring Fling in Fort Worth, so come check me out!

17 comments:

Daryl said...

As kids when one of us had something childhood related - chicken pops (my sister called them that), measles, mumps ... we'd have company and everyone would get whatever it was and it was over ... but let me tell you .. I had rosiola at 9 months, chicken pox (which is a stronger form of rosiola) 2 more times before I got 'immune' .. I had measles twice and mumps once ... if you dont get something really bad/strong/intense you get it again and again .. so he may still need to be vaccinated .. I am not saying absolutely but it is within the realm of possible.

I am so envious of that pillow ...

priyabeverlymoon said...

Nice to see your latest news online. And I am glad that the three of you are "all better now."

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That pillow is AMAZING! What a treasure. I'm so glad everyone is feeling better! Sounds like you got all your illnesses for the next five years out of the way! =)

Geek+Nerd said...

That pillow rocks my socks off! You have some very lucky friends. What a special memento of their special day! On another note, I hope that you're little guy is on the mend sooner rather than later!

Liz said...

Totally beautiful cushion. Made me especially happy as I got married on the same day! Your friends are very lucky to have such a thoughtful momento.

Funky Finds said...

That is absolutely fantastic!!! What a wonderful wedding gift. -Jessica

Tim and Kim said...

Love the pillow! I hate seeing little ones with the chicken pox. I know it is a part of childhood but I still get sympathy itching when I see them. :o)
I hope every one is well and doing better.
Kim

the fabled needle (jen) said...

i really stink and sewing in piping - do you have any tips? ;)

Anonymous said...

oh my oh my how i LURVE that pillow. it is the best! what lucky friends you have. i'm sure it was worth all the wait.

gosh, you guys have had some illness this year! hope the rest of the year has improved health for all.

Matt. Tara. Addi. Roslyn. said...

Hi,
I love the information you post on your site and feel like it is very useful. My husband and I recently started an area rug website. We are trying to get the business going, and were wondering if you would be willing to put a link to our site from yours. Our site is www.arearugbug.com. We are still trying to get it completed, but would love it if you would post our link. You can put the link anywhere you feel that it would not distract from your own information. If this is something that you are interested in please contact me at taraivers@gmail.com and we would be glad to send you a great new bread mix from our food storage business as a thank you.
Thanks, Tara

the fabled needle (jen) said...

are you "fixin' to" do a blog update yet or what? ;)

btw, i ordered vintage buttons from that link you sent me - and they came already, super fast shipping!

essbesee said...

sorry your kid has the chicken pox! That wedding gift/pillow you embroidered (sp?) is so beautiful, lucky, lucky recipients!

Danielle said...

i've been wondering about chicken pox... i would totally expose my kids to it.. lol! b/c i hate so many vaccinations... i had it when i was a kid and my sister had it at the same time.. i like not having to worry about getting vaccinations now or in the future! now, to hunt some kid down that has chicken pox. ;-)

on another note, i LOOOOOVE your pillow!! you did an incredible job!!

p.s. i love the name "Violette Crumble"!!

Unknown said...

My daughter had it before she turned one, she didn't even know she was itchy it was pretty awesome. Sorry you missed sxsw though, but like you said at least he got it out of his system. or in his system. however it goes. ;)

LocalPrice said...

Nice embroidered pillows...hope you son is doing good though after that Chicken Pox.

LocalPrice said...

Nice embroidered pillows...where can I own one pair of them.
blinds and shades Atlanta

Ely Girl said...

Kerala Lottery Today Results: The Kerala state lottery department announced the results of the Kerala Akshaya Lottery AK-452. The first prize winner is ticket number AN-186816 which bagged a whopping Rs 70 lakh