Friday, December 15, 2006

How do you like that apple?






I have finally put up some decorations, not a moment too soon. Because Harlan is still going to work every day by opening and closing all the cabinets and pulling down everything in his reach, we did not get a real tree. I put up my old standby- the tinsel tabletop tree, and pulled out all the tiny colored glass ornaments that I've collected over the years. Aside from this I indulged a bit and purchased a bunch of new decorations from here which I found while reading angry chicken. I covet her snowmen, but the one I purchased instead was a beautiful silvery mercury glass snowman, holding a tiny brush tree. Unfortunately they were out of him forever. Instead I got a slew of goodies that are basically remakes of 40's and 50's designs, including this cute 'lil reindeer. I put him up next to the brush trees and the one soft tree I have completed that is not intended as a gift. I sent one to my mother-in-law and am making some more for my aunt and uncle out of some Tiffany felts that I dug out of the dumpster when I worked there eons ago (it sounds gross, but the dumpsters I'm talking about where only ever filled with felts, bubble wrap, and other similar supplies that were not able to be used with new items for whatever reason. I originally had a dream of making a giant duvet cover with them, but never quite collected that many).
I hate to say it because I bring it on myself, but I'm starting to feel resentful that everything I seem to make lately is a gift. I have a long list of items I want to make for myself and Harlan and Joe, but there seems to always be a birthday or new baby or Christmas, and due to the severe free time shortage in my life these days, there is not ample opportunity to create for myself. My new year's resolution is to have every other craft project be for myself. That's right, I am pledging to become more selfish, how do you like that apple?
Luckily the global warming let up for a couple of chilly days last week, and Harlan got to finally wear the sweater I made for him while I was pregnant. I got the pattern from a 1940's knitting magazine, and while I followed the directions perfectly, the sleeves came out pretty baggy.

I am excited to begin teaching my knitting class this January over at Brooklyn Play Spot. It may be a bit challenging to try and teach knitting while simultaneously entertaining the wee rascal, but I think I can do it. After all, once you have taught a bunch of rowdy teenagers in a self-contained classroom all day, you can basically multi-task with the best of them.
Now for a business update: My "mother" tattoo baby t-shirt is on the front page of Etsy, as a hand-picked item! I'm so excited, but also a bit perplexed as to why so few of my pieces sell there for the sale price, when they fly off the shelves at boutiques for twice the amount. I wonder if it's because mostly craftsters are on Etsy. Hmmmm.... I am also still awaiting the launch of irepresentfashion the site that is going to launch on amazon and sell my goods. I've been looking forward to this for a while now, but it seems to be taking them a bit longer than expected to launch. I suppose that probably happens with most web businesses. Meanwhile I have an exciting new computer and so I am going to have to quickly teach myself the latest version of Dreamweaver so that I can update my site and make it more professional. This should really be my #1 priority these days.

1 comment:

JenniferW said...

That little deer is too cute, and I am coveting it. And Harlan looks dashing in his sweater!